Sunday, March 15, 2009

We survived an 11-hr car ride with a 3-month-old!

We left Raleigh around 10 am with a car packed to the ceiling. Well, not exactly, but definitely well packed. Vivian has more bags of clothes and baby-related items than Chris and I put together. We had to bring laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent for bottles and just about every outfit that she currently can wear.

Our first stop -- South of the Border. It's a tourist trap, but I've never stopped there before...and um, we won't be stopping there again. But, it worked for a diaper change and a nice stretch of the legs. We fed Vivian at the South Carolina welcome center.

Our next stop -- Tybee Island. Last time I was there, I wasn't able to photograph the lighthouse in actual daylight and Chris has never seen Savannah, so we decided to swing by the area. Little did we know it would be the detour that would take several hours. It is the weekend before St. Paddy's Day and apparently Savannah has a huge celebration. We got stuck in some traffic and then stuff in some additional traffic on the Island. But, Chris got to see the Budweiser clydesdales. That was pretty cool. We also had to change her poo diaper in a beach bathroom. Um...yeah...pretty icks. Not the poo, but the bathroom.




Vivian got to her experience her first look at the beach and I got to feel the sand in my toes. I'm going to LOVE living in FL!! I'm not someone who likes to sit out in the sun (have you seen my pale skin?), but I love walking on the beach and seeing the lighthouses. Vivian LOVED the beach. I think she liked the wind in her hair. She kept making her happy noise that she just started the other day. When we got back to the car, she kept telling monkey all about it.




Our next stop -- FL welcome center. It was closed by the time we got there, so I didn't get my freshly squeezed OJ (perhaps going home we'll get to it).

We finally pulled into Jacksonville for the night, found the PF Chang's (thanks Ivee!!!!) and a hotel. Vivian did great sleeping on the floor on her ultimate crib sheet. However, Chris and I slept on the world's crappiest bed. Yes, even worse than his "divot" mattress that he had when I first met him. No wonder I got sciatica! I blame the bed!

We're off to drive down the FL (Atlantic) coast today and we're hoping to see the shuttle launch tonight! If it gets scrubbed again, perhaps we'll head to Orlando for some mickey fun!

It's also no longer spring break, so I actually have homework to do this week. BOO. We'll be in Tally tomorrow night, so I can FINALLY see FSU! I'm really excited to meet everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment